Monday, November 28, 2022

Show HN: An adaptive Chinese reader. Only helps where you need it https://ift.tt/1aGRZVt

Show HN: An adaptive Chinese reader. Only helps where you need it Hey folks! I made a free Chinese reading tool after trying to get through The Hunger Games almost drove me crazy. Any Chinese (or, I assume, Japanese) learner will tell you there's a frustrating uncanny valley where you're good enough to start pursuing "real" reading material, but there are just too many unknown characters to actually make it through. What I'm really working toward with this is something where you can upload an EPUB and it will give you a modified EPUB with exactly, and only, the language help that you need added as text annotations (called "rubies" typographically). Probably the world's most niche web app, but hey -- for those in this specific situation, it's a real struggle. I hacked it together pretty quickly, so if this gets any sizable load from HN I'm sure it will crash, but I would LOVE feedback from Chinese learners out there! https://ift.tt/Bz3RS6g November 28, 2022 at 09:25PM

No comments:

Post a Comment